In search of a new fragrance to round out your summer beauty routine? From citrusy body splashes to perfumes so fragrant they smell fresh-picked from the garden, we’ve got the ideal hot weather scent for everyone’s taste and style.
When it comes to fragrances, summer inspires a different set of scents. Swap the deep woodsy and spicy aromas for those that reflect the essence of the hot weather season. From a quenching glass of lemonade to a sweet bloom of star jasmine, summer is the time for light, fresh scents that complement long days and sultry nights. Read on for our top fragrance picks for her, for him and for the home.
Picking a summer-y scent
When picking a new perfume, it’s easy to become overwhelmed by all of the choices. Understanding how different fragrances are characterized can make the selection a bit simpler. About.com beauty writer Catherine Helbig points out several common fragrance categories; here are the ones are ideal for hot weather:
- Citrus: Energizing, crisp aromas like lemon, lime, grapefruit and orange
- Floral: Sweet and sensual blends of blossoms including rose, lily and wildflowers
- Fruity: Refreshing and uplifting notes ranging from plums and peaches to berries of all kinds
- Green: Fresh cut grass, leafy greens and garden herbs like basil and lemongrass
- Oceanic: Crisp, clean aromas that mimic breezy mountain air and ocean spray
Still attached to your signature cold weather fragrance? While woody aromas like cedar and patchouli are often associated with winter, lighter earthy aromas with milky undertones are ideal for summer. Allure recommends coconut and sandalwood.
Also keep in mind that most perfumes don’t fall under one category. Some fragrances will feature just one major category (i.e. citrus), while others will combine two or more (i.e. rose and lemon) for a layered, more complex scent. Whatever you choose, remember to keep your application on the lighter side. Warm summer air will strengthen the smell of your scent.
- Green: H2O Plus Mariel Eau de Parfum is a fresh fragrance inspired by nature, blending natural essences of botanicals including jasmine, lemon and other earthy essences.
- Oceanic: Michael Kors Island Eau de Parfum brings a splash of the tropics no matter where the summer season takes you, offering a Caribbean inspired cocktail of fragrant florals and ocean aromas.
- Oceanic: Blue by Nautica Men's Eau De Toilette Spray offers a refreshing dip in the big blue sea – no ocean necessary. This cool blend of water lily and musk is rounded out with subtle hints of pineapple and peach for the perfect summer scent.
- Fruity: Sean John I Am King Eau de Toilette is a cocktail bursting with fruity fragrance including tangerine zest, orange, cranberry and the exclusive imperial French berry. Balanced with warm hints of cedar, moss and sandalwood, this is an ideal scent for the sophisticated man.
- Floral: For a classic scent that withstands hot weather, turn to Calvin Klein Eternity. This floral fragrance is a timeless, modern blend of freesia, sage and mandarin that invokes romance, elegance and style.
Celebrate summer with the aromas and essences that capture the heart of the hot weather season. From energizing citrus and garden fresh fruits to earthy greens and nautical breezes, there’s a perfect scent to inspire everyone’s ideal of summer.
Fashion & Beauty Handbook
Get Your Beauty Regimen Summer-Ready in 10 Easy Steps
The Shades of Summer: Colors to Add to Your Beauty Arsenal and Fashion Wardrobe Now
Warm Weather Beauty for Less