Preparing for summer weather should go beyond skincare and makeup; your hair needs a little TLC, too. Hot temperatures combined with humidity can leave those locks dry, frizzy and flat. And if you spend most of your summer days at the beach or pool, the added effects of saltwater and chlorine just increase the damage. Find out how to revive dull, damaged hair in this guide to the best hair products for summer weather.
In the lazy summer months, styling your hair is probably the last thing you want to think about! Luckily, summer hairstyles are all about simplicity and ease – and healthy hair. In this article, you’ll learn how to hydrate, nurture and protect your hair, no matter the weather, with restorative shampoos, conditioners and treatment products. Plus, find out how to add the finishing touches to your summer hairstyles, whether you’re headed to the beach or an afternoon barbeque.
- Everyday shampoo. Summer means you’ll probably be washing your hair a little more frequently to account for humidity and excess oils, especially if you plan on working out or trying outdoor activities. Look for a basic shampoo to rinse hair clean of oils and styling products, without stripping or over-cleansing, such as Jurlique Lavender Shampoo. This natural formula is ideal to use every day, and the addition of lavender essential oils leaves locks feeling fresh.
- Everyday conditioner. For everyday conditioning, there’s no need for the mega-moisturizers you may have opted for during the winter months; this will only weigh down your hair and make it limp and lifeless. Instead, try a conditioner designed to brighten hair and leave it silky-smooth and detangled, such as Frederic Fekkai ADVANCED Brilliant Glossing Conditioner.
- Clarifying conditioner. Do you ever feel like some days, that favorite shampoo just doesn’t cleanse the way you remember? Chances are your hair just needs some deep cleansing to remove any residue that your ordinary shampoo left behind. Incorporate a clarifying shampoo like ARCONA Green Tea Cleansing Base Shampoo once a week to remove accumulated build-up. This product won’t strip your color or dry out your hair.
- UV hair shield. Whether you spend summer days at the beach or relaxing in your own backyard, UV rays can leave your hair looking dull and drab. Before you hit the beach, spray on a protective product like Phyto Protective Beach Spray to add a layer of defense between your hair and damaging environmental factors.
- Keep your color. It’s frustrating to spend so much time and money at the salon only to find that your hair color fades faster than you can maintain it. Extend the time between touch-ups by incorporating a protecting treatment designed especially for color-treated hair, such as Alterna BAMBOO UV Color Protection Fade-Proof Fluide. With all the money women spend on highlights and professional hair dye, it’s worth the investment to protect your color!
- After-sun and chlorine repair. If you’re an avid swimmer, you might notice that dreaded green tint caused by chlorine, especially if your hair is a lighter shade. Restore health to your locks by using Rene Furterer Repairing Shampoo - After Sun to neutralize the effects of both chlorine and UV rays. You can alternate using a specialized shampoo with your regular daily shampoo.
- Frizz-free styling. Is humidity making styling nearly impossible? Instead of giving up and wearing your hair in a ponytail or fussing with greasy serums throughout the day, fight the frizz by using blowPro Weather Girl Climate Neutralizing Complex before you leave the house. This lightweight serum will help you avoid a ruined hairstyle halfway through the day.
- Volumize. No matter what type of hair you have, it’s easy for your style to fall flat in the midst of a hot, humid day. Add some oomph to your ‘do with a spritz of a volumizing spray, such as Ojon Volume Advance Thickening Spray.
- Beachy hair. Want to look like a surfer girl, even if you can’t make it to the beach? Try a texturizing salt spray like Frederic Fekkai Marine Summer Hair Beach Waves, which will give you that tousled look without drying out your hair. It’s enriched with sea kelp to preserve moisture and marine peptides to restore health to your hair.
- Moisture mask. If UV rays have zapped all the moisture from your hair, a weekly hair mask is a great item to add to your product arsenal. Make Sunday a day for pampering with hair and skin masks to get your hair ready for the week. Klorane Mask with Papyrus Milk will leave your hair looking and feeling healthier after just one use.
Summer styling is a breeze once you’re prepared to battle the elements and restore environmental damage after a day in the hot sun. By shielding your hair from UV rays, chlorine, saltwater and humidity – and taking time to restore vibrancy back to dull, lifeless locks – you’ll improve not only the look of your hairstyles but the overall health of your hair.
Scalp Conditions Handbook
Skincare & Beauty FAQ Handbook – Part 13: Sun Protection
Skincare & Beauty FAQ Handbook – Part 8: Hair