Whether work and family priorities have taken over your life, or you just don’t know where to start with updating your look, now’s the perfect time to reevaluate your style. If you feel like your current makeup and fashion could use some freshening up, then read on for easy adjustments that’ll have you looking put together in no time.
When your busy life takes over, it’s easy to neglect your style. Before you know it, you’re stuck in a beauty rut and don’t know where to begin to put yourself back together. Don’t panic; freshening up your look is simpler than you think. By making a few simple changes, you can create a more polished version of yourself. In this article, you’ll learn some simple ways to clean up your appearance, from adding a few key fashion pieces to polishing your daily makeup routine.
Refresh your daily fashion
- Build a solid foundation. A lot of women overlook the importance of undergarments, but wearing properly fitting bras and underwear that don’t bunch, pinch or pucker can really improve the look of an outfit – and your figure. Look for body-shaping garments for times when an ensemble requires an extra smooth foundation, like a slim fitted dress or skinny pants.
- Toss aside the oversized clothes. When you feel less than confident about certain body parts, the most common mistake is to embrace bulky, oversized clothing. Don’t fall into this fashion trap, which often backfires by creating the illusion of additional mass. Instead, opt for more fitted – and flattering – wardrobe pieces, which can take pounds off your look. And before you panic, keep in mind that fitted doesn’t mean tight. Look for items cut closer to the body that skim over the areas you want to hide and nip in at the smallest section of your waist. And, a few key pieces of shape wear (see #1 above) will smooth out any unwanted flaws in your figure.
- Pants: find your perfect pair. Having a wide range of bottoms isn’t as important as having a few staple items that fit well. And while shopping for that perfect pair of pants can be a daunting task, it’s completely worth the effort. Rather than getting bogged down in trends, just look for a pair that plays up your assets and downplays the bits you want to camouflage. For most women “a straight or bootleg style in a dark tone that optically trims thighs and legs” is flattering, explains style expert Charla Krupp to Prevention. She also adds that higher waistlines that fall just beneath the belly button can help avoid the unwanted muffin top. If you’re perplexed, ask a sales associate or bring a friend along for a helpful opinion. Be open-minded; you may be surprised that a style you thought would never work is actually quite flattering.
- Spice it up with accessories. Integrating some fun accessories can really change up your look – and it doesn’t have to cost a fortune. A chunky necklace, a pair of oversized hooped earrings, a trendy fedora or a gorgeous patterned scarf can easily update an outdated outfit. Most clothing stores carry a range of trendy costume pieces that are inexpensive and can quickly give a basic outfit some flair.
- Don’t forget your feet. What’s more fun than shopping for shoes? It doesn’t matter how you’re feeling about your shape – you can always find shoes that fit. Plus, the shoes you wear can really change the look of an outfit, taking it from casual to dressy or work appropriate to ready to party. For the upcoming season, look for platform wedges, strappy sandals and casual canvas slip-on flats in bright, cheerful shades.
- Pull it together with a blazer. A fitted blazer in a neutral color (white, navy or tan) is a great multi-tasking piece that works in a wide variety of situations including at the office or out for a casual dinner. Blazers can give you shape (if they’re not boxy), pull together an outfit and dress you up or dress you down. For summer, look for lightweight linen or cotton blazers that are ideal for cool summer nights.
Easy makeup overhaul
- Start with perfection. An easy way to polish your look is to find a concealer that helps give you a flawless base – or as close to it as you can get. Sometimes we get stuck on a certain concealer for years and years, but a product that worked in the past may not be ideal forever. Find a finish that works for your current skin type and gives you a smooth, matte look. Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer offers highly pigmented coverage, so you don’t need much to create a flawless face.
- Bring back the glow. Powder blush can settle into fine lines, emphasizing the appearance of these unwanted signs of aging. For a more believable flush, give cream blush a try. Creamy formulas often create a smoother, glowing-from-within look and can take years off your face. For a dewy, soft glow apply a product like Kevyn Aucoin The Creamy Moist Glow.
- Add a little flirt. Eyes are beautiful, so why not put some extra focus on yours? A lot of women overlook the eye-opening effect that a swipe or two of great mascara can have. Giving the lashes some added volume and length frames eyes and adds a touch of drama to even the most casual look. To draw attention to those alluring peepers, swap your everyday mascara for a thickening and lengthening formula like Peter Thomas Roth Lashes to Die For.
- Finish with a rosy pucker. Full, blushing lips are usually associated with youth, so giving your pucker a rosy boost will freshen your overall appearance. Using a lip balm like Rodin Lip Balm with a pink or berry tint gives lips a hint of color, while hydrating and conditioning your pucker.
Freshening up your look doesn’t have to be complicated. Rather than worrying about current trends, focus on beauty and fashion basics for a clean, classic look that never goes out of style. Once you feel you have the hang of the essentials you can play around by adding in an up-to-the-minute piece here and there.
Spring Fashion and Beauty: Three Picture-Perfect Looks
Green Your Spring Skincare Routine: Eco-Friendly Beauty Products for Spring
Spring Break Beauty: Skincare Must-Haves On Vacation