When you’re juggling a career along with all the other demands of life, it’s easy to lose sight of your own well-being. And for most women, feeling good also means looking your best. Fortunately, we’ve got a beauty guide tailor-made for the professional working woman. Find out how to create and maintain an office-appropriate look, from the first interview to the whirlwind business trip. You’ll also get excellent ideas for minimizing stress, such as getting adequate sleep and indulging in lunchtime beauty treatments, and essential tips for looking office-ready on a budget. Plus, learn how to keep your hair and makeup fresh throughout the day, from a morning workout to an evening dinner date.
Skincare, Hair & Makeup at the Office
“Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success.” - Christopher Lasch, American historian and social critic
Looking for some basic beauty tools to help you navigate the professional world? Need advice on interview-appropriate hair and makeup, or want to revamp your everyday makeup routine? Whether you’re a high-level executive or just setting out on your career path, understanding some tips and tricks of the beauty world can bring more ease to your workday and set the stage for job success.
- Office Beauty Guide to a Professional Interview Appearance. Before you can demonstrate your skills in the workplace, you first have to prove that you’re the right one for the job. And in this case, the old adage “Dress for success” isn’t just a cliché. Experts confirm that presenting a competent, professional image is key to instilling a sense of confidence in employers, and hence landing the position you want. Find out how to create a polished and professional makeup look, with tips on how to emphasize your natural beauty. You’ll also find tips on hairstyle ideas, interview outfits, nail polish and accessories so that, when it’s time for the all-important interview, your appearance is the last thing on your mind – and your inner confidence can shine through.
- Makeup Looks for the Office. Conveying the right impression doesn’t end with the job interview. Whether your work environment is business casual or requires more formal attire, maintaining a professional appearance is an important part of exuding confidence and feeling your best. This article provides a step-by-step guide to prepping skin for a “natural” look that’s sophisticated but not overdone. With options for extra flourishes and variations, depending on your job’s policy and your creative license, you’ll learn methods for embracing your natural beauty while presenting an office-appropriate image.
- Budget Beauty for the Office: 15 Affordable Finds. Looking for ways to create or enhance your professional appearance – without draining your bank account? In these economic times, the last thing you want is to spend a fortune maintaining the right look for your job. Fortunately, you can master a budget-friendly beauty routine that matches your skin type and lifestyle. Get tips for smart beauty buys – like multitasking formulas and DIY treatments – plus a guide to affordable hair product and makeup choices. With our frugal finds, you can show up to work every day looking fresh and put-together from head to toe, and rest assured that your hard-earned paycheck is money well-spent.
- Professional Hairstyles for the Office. First impressions can speak volumes, and the hairstyle you choose is an important part of the message you send others. In the workplace, hair should reflect both professionalism and your individual personality. This article recommends haircuts for different hair types, from thick and curly to straight and fine, plus tips for simple yet polished styles that are perfect for a day at the office. Whether you’re considering a playful pixie cut, a businesslike bob or a sophisticated ponytail, use our low-maintenance guide to help you choose the right look and keep your locks healthy.
- Practical Tips for Healthy Skincare at the Office. When it comes to your skin, the office environment is less than optimal, what with the drying effects of artificial air and the prevalence of work stress. Learn how to protect your skin from the elements, save time and repair damage by utilizing a few key tips. From serums and sunscreen to post-work solutions for frizz and smudged makeup, we’ve got simple ways to keep your skin healthy and radiant from 9 to 5 and beyond.
- Summer Beauty Trends for the Office. Working in an office doesn’t mean you have to limit your look to neutral shades and conservative hairstyles year-round. The heat of summertime offers the perfect opportunity to add brighter colors, sun-kissed skin and looser hair to your everyday beauty routine. Depending on your working environment, you can add a splash of color to your cubicle with sunny yet discreet shades and styles. Check out this article for ideas on classic but casual updos, office-friendly hair color and summery makeup and nails.
- Fall Beauty Switch-Up Part 1: 7 Tips for Office Skincare This Fall. Seasonal transitions can be hard on your complexion, especially if you need to maintain a professional appearance in the workplace. When you’re adjusting from summer to fall, concerns like flaky skin and dull hair get in the way of looking polished and fresh. In this article, learn how to repair and refresh skin for cooler weather, adding moisture and TLC to your beauty routine so that you can ease into fall both at home and at work.
- Skin Protection in the Workplace: How to Defend Skin from Office Beauty Hazards. Have you ever considered how your work environment may be detrimental to the health of your skin? Between desk germs, artificial air and potential sun damage, working in an office can have unwelcome effects on your skin. Use this guide to fight back against potential office hazards, with simple tips to protecting your skin on the job.
- Office Skincare for Men: 5 Tips for Confidence and Success. Whether you’re a high-level executive or working your way to the top, most men know the value of a professional appearance. However, it’s not just about a suit and tie – a foolproof skincare regimen is an important part of looking confident and office-appropriate on the job. From grooming facial hair to fighting acne and signs of aging, here’s a handy guide for any guy on the road to success.
- Create a Smoky Eye That’s Office Appropriate. Alluring eye makeup is an ancient beauty favorite, but is this look appropriate for everyday office wear? With a few simple techniques, you can create an eye-catching but understated eye makeup look that transitions seamlessly from work to evening. Discover tips on how to create the perfect smoky eye using the right palette and shades, keeping other makeup minimal to avoid an overdramatic effect. And no need to be intimidated by application tricks: use our step-by-step guide to applying flawless eye makeup that’s sultry but professional.
- Workplace Beauty for the Polished Professional: 6 Beauty Products to Keep at Your Office. Pressed for time in the morning, or need a mid-afternoon beauty pick-me-up to feel polished and refreshed at the office? Here’s your list of skincare essentials to keep on hand for a harried day at work or an easy transition from a professional daytime look to a glamorous night out. From blotting paper to multi-purpose makeup and dry shampoo, learn the basics of building an emergency beauty kit for your desk drawer or purse.
- Office Update: 8 Ways to Revamp Your Professional Look. When you’re working in an office every day, it’s easy to get stuck in a beauty rut. Luckily, switching up your hair and makeup look – even in subtle ways – can provide a notable boost to your daily routine. Look to this article for advice on upgrading your beauty tools, adding some shimmer to your makeup shades and updating your brows and hairstyle to stay current and sophisticated on the job.
- Anti-Aging at Your Desk: 5 Healthy Skin Habits. Ready to be just as proactive about aging as you are about your career? Here are five key tips for keeping your skin smooth, youthful and protected amidst a hectic work day. Whether you’re suffering from dry skin, fatigue, stress or crow’s feet, use this guide to establish healthy habits at the office and beyond.
Professional Beauty on the Go
“I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.” - Marlene Dietrich, actress
For many working women, mornings are the most hectic part of the day. And if traveling is part of your job, keeping your skincare habits healthy and organized on the road can be a challenge. Learn how to simplify your beauty routine when you’re pressed for time and get tips for creating a foolproof, travel-friendly regimen for life on the go.
- Late for Work? The 30-Minute Routine. On a rushed and stressful morning, the idea of putting together a professional appearance can seem daunting. But a late start needn’t ruin your day if you utilize these time-saving beauty techniques. Learn how to get yourself polished and out the door in 30 minutes or less with multitasking products, minimalist makeup tips and easy hairstyles. Now, on days when you’ve overslept or had a setback in your usual routine, you can still arrive at the office looking fresh and beautiful, ready for the day ahead.
- 10 Beauty Tips for the Business Traveler. Frequent travelers know the challenges of a busy life on the go – and how beauty habits can suffer with air travel, hotel nights and early morning meetings. Find out how to maintain healthy skin in any travel conditions with a pared-down regimen that includes travel-friendly beauty staples and simplified hairstyling tips. Plus, get ideas for organizing your products and easing travel stress with some pampering options that are perfect for a mobile lifestyle.
- The Busy Working Woman's Guide to Fabulous Skin. A busy work day often means neglecting your skin – which can lead to dry hands, oily T-zone and unsightly sweat. To avoid the pitfalls of office grime, stress and skin flare-ups, look to this article for tips on caring for your skin, hands and nails, reviving makeup on the go and smelling fresh. The best part? These simple solutions require only a few minutes out of the day, so you can look and feel confident without a lot of time or fuss.
- Fix Makeup Mishaps with the Ultimate Office Beauty Tool Kit. Tired of makeup smudging, running or fading halfway through the workday? A few simple – and discreet – tricks can help keep you looking fresh and polished from morning to evening. Learn how to choose your products wisely to prevent makeup meltdown, especially in warm and humid weather. Or, if you need to administer a quick fix during office hours, get handy tips for correcting makeup mishaps using basic cotton swabs. Better yet, use our recommendations for a complete office beauty tool kit to ensure a fresh look all day every day.
Beauty Beyond the Office
“Why not be oneself? That is the whole secret of a successful appearance.” - Dame Edith Sitwell, British critic and writer
A balanced and fulfilled life includes both work and pleasure – in fact, one enhances the other. Fortunately, there are ways to integrate exercise, beauty treatments and other stress-relieving techniques into your workday, no matter how busy you are. Learn how to care for your body and soul with tips on ensuring a good night’s sleep, increasing your energy in the morning, giving yourself much-deserved TLC and maintaining smooth, healthy skin from head to toe.
- 10 Tips to Energize Your Body and Skin in the Morning. Whether you’re a morning person or dread the sound of your alarm clock, this article can help you start your day with ease and energy – especially if you’ve got a long workday ahead of you. Want key tips for simplifying your morning routine? Learn how to save time by planning ahead the night before, multitasking in the shower and waking up your face and body with natural sunlight, exercise and invigorating skincare products. You’ll also find suggestions for healthy breakfast options and refreshing aromatherapy scents.
- Escape From the Office: Eight Lunchtime Treatments. Taking a break during your workday for a little pampering can do more than boost your mood – it may even improve your productivity. With quick beauty treatments available at many spas and salons, working professionals can easily squeeze in a pedicure, massage, wax or facial on a lunch break. Or you can opt for a sleek blow-out or teeth whitening session for longer-term beauty benefits. Get tips for taking some “me” time in an otherwise busy day and return to the office relaxed and restored.
- Workout to Workday: Tips for Going from the Gym to the Office. For a working woman, fitting exercise into a busy schedule can be a big challenge – especially when you factor in time for hair and makeup. But the stress-relieving benefits of exercise are worth the extra effort. And fortunately, a little planning can go a long way to make your fitness goals a reality. This article provides a guide to gym-friendly beauty products and speedy tips on transitioning from the gym to the office or the office to the gym. Whether you opt for a morning or evening exercise routine, learn how to create a pre- and post-workout beauty regimen so you look fresh and gorgeous in no time.
Office Manicure Trends for Fall. A sophisticated manicure can make all the difference in your professional look. And fall is the perfect time to experiment with a new nail polish and style, from classy French tips to daring metallic hues. Get the low-down on the season’s hottest nail trends and polish picks, plus do-it-yourself tips for the perfect at-home manicure to dress up your work ensemble.
A Guide to Facials for the Professional Woman. Working women have enough on their plates without having to worry about skin issues. Give your skin a boost by investing in regular facials designed to replenish your skin, minimize and prevent signs of aging, address skin concerns like acne and wrinkles and give yourself some much-needed pampering time. This article offers a guide to the different types of facials, what to know before you go and the benefits you can expect from a facial specially designed for your needs.
- The Quick Change: Makeup from the Office to the Evening. After a long day at work, redoing your makeup for a night out may feel like a hassle. With this convenient guide, you’ll learn how to move seamlessly from daytime to evening with a few simple steps and beauty products. While your daytime makeup may be lighter and more conservative for work, you can have fun experimenting with more dramatic yet sophisticated looks for evening. If you’re in a hurry, use some easy shortcuts to touch up the morning’s makeup with staple items that you can keep on hand at the office.
- Beauty Tips for Working Women: 10 After-Work Pampering Ideas. Think you’re too busy for pampering? Slowing down and giving yourself some TLC is an important part of alleviating stress, particularly if you’re always on the go. Fortunately, even the busiest routine can include five minutes of stress relief. Learn how to create your own soothing routine with easy and inexpensive beauty treatments, ready-made products and DIY ideas for nurturing yourself after a busy workday.
Professional women have enough to juggle without worrying about their appearance, both at the workplace and outside of it. Whether you’re short on time or are watching your budget, you’ve got plenty of options for maintaining a polished, office-appropriate look. With this handbook, you can address all your beauty needs, from perfecting a sophisticated interview appearance to de-stressing after a long day at the office with some pampering and invigorating beauty treatments.
Top 25 Skincare & Beauty Books and Articles of 2010
Skincare & Beauty FAQ Handbook – Part 3: Anti-Aging
Beauty on a Budget Handbook