As summer arrives, we’re often too busy updating our warm weather wardrobes and hitting the beach to worry about skin care. But by summer-izing your skin care routine, you’ll ensure a healthy, gorgeous look that lasts long after your bikini is put away for the fall. From bronzers to sunscreen, discover how to reinvent your summer skin care routine.
Summer is here, but there’s still time to revise your summer skin care routine. From sunblock to shaving, read on for essential advice to ensure healthy – and gorgeous – skin from head to toe.
The number one most important part of your skin care routine is to protect your skin from the sun. Even though SPF should be a regular part of your regimen all year round, summertime brings more direct rays from the sun. So, whether you live in Arizona or Alaska, it’s essential to amp up your arsenal of SPF products before the weather gets warm.
Sunscreen has a shelf life of about one year, so it’s recommended to start each summer with fresh formulas to ensure efficacy. Always look for UVA/UVB protection or “broad spectrum” on the label to make sure it blocks out all types of rays. Generally, the higher the SPF the better, although keep in mind that an SPF of 60 provides less than 2 percent more protection than SPF 30. When it comes to optimal protection, it’s more important to apply thoroughly and frequently.
When selecting sunscreen, it’s best to embrace formulas that are specialized for different parts of the body. Here are our top picks for this summer:
- Face: While it’s important to use a daily SPF moisturizer during all seasons of the year, seize this summer to adopt this skin healthy habit. SkinMedica TNS Ultimate Daily Moisturizer SPF 20 is ideal for everyday use as it goes beyond SPF protection and includes ingredients to improve the signs of aging and strengthen skin.
When out in the sun for extended periods of time, your daily moisturizer won’t do enough to protect skin. Always apply a lightweight, oil-free sunblock like La Roche Posay Anthelios 45 Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid for Face. In addition to broad spectrum SPF 45, this sunblock features the unique CELL OX-SHIELD and advanced UV filtering system of Anthelios 45 to defend skin right down to the individual cells.
- Body: Like the face, it’s important to apply a daily SPF lotion to the areas of skin that are exposed to the sun during the day, including the arms, hands, legs and chest. Juice Beauty Green Apple SPF 20 Antioxidant Body Moisturizer shields skin from the sun, while layering it with nourishing ingredients including DMAE, alpha lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10 and fruit extracts for a more radiant look.
When spending lots of time outside, it’s important to apply a stronger sunblock. For the body, lather on Ti-Silc Sheer SPF 45 by Neova. In addition to SPF, this lotion also adds a subtle tint for a sun-ready look. With a micronized Titanium Dioxide and silicone base, this waterproof lotion boasts broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection.
If your plans include more than lying on the beach, be sure to use a sport sunblock like Coola Sport SPF 45 Unscented. This unique complex of organic extracts infuses skin with vitamin-rich antioxidants and anti-aging nutrients, while ensuring maximum sun protection.
Summer is the time to show off your skin. Exfoliation helps maintain a fresh, healthy complexion from head to toe by sloughing away dead skin cells. Exfoliation also improves the efficacy of shaving and self-tanning. Just make sure not to overdo it, especially when it comes to the face – use a gentle product that doesn’t irritate, and stick to just a few days per week, not every day.
- Body: Beautify and brighten skin from head to toe with Yonka Phyto Gel Exfoliant. Formulated with green algae, sweet almond extract and jojoba esters, this gentle exfoliator gently buffs and shines skin for a healthier, more radiant look.
- Feet: For feet that are flip-flop ready, lather on Yonka Kirogel. This non-greasy all-plant gel delivers cells with ingredients that heal, soothe and exfoliate for feet that you can show off. For tough to treat calluses and thickened skin, use Tweezerman Pedicure Ceramic File.
Achieve a smooth shave
Summer is the time to dig out the shorts, swimsuits and sleeveless tops. With fewer clothes comes more frequent shaving. This summer, show off smooth skin that’s free of stubble or irritation.
- Razor: For a smooth shave, reach for Whish Regency Body Brush. Simply add shaving cream and sweep the soft badger hair across your skin to prep it for shaving while gently exfoliating away dead skin cells. Use in tandem with Whish Pomegranate Shave Crave Shaving Cream Pump.
After the shower, lather a hair-inhibiting lotion like Whish Pomegranate Shave Savour Hair Inhibiting Gel onto freshly shaved skin to extend the time in-between shaves. This multi-tasking formula infuses skin with sage, pomegranate and other antioxidants to nourish, protect and soften the skin, while peppermint and cucumber clarify and soothe. Natural antiseptics including lemon and aloe help heal irritations like razor burn and minor nicks.
- Wax: For an easy, at-home wax, reach for Bliss Poetic Waxing Kit. This do-it-yourself kit includes pre-waxing lotion and low-temperature wax that effectively eliminate hair with flawless results that last for up to four weeks. Use on virtually any surface of the body, including brows, bikini line and underarms.
- Wax alternative: For those seeking an effective alternative to waxing, MOOM Organic Hair Removal Kit is the ideal solution. This painless at-home procedure is ideal for sensitive skin anywhere on the body and leaves behind skin that’s healthier, softer and more radiant for up to eight weeks.
- Epilator: Transform your hair removal experience with an epilator. Emjoi Emagine Epilator features 72 tweezer heads to extract hair from the root more quickly and less painfully than other models. In addition, the Emagine Epilator boasts Silver Ion Technology to protect skin against bacteria and is designed with unique “middle lifting fingers” that target hard-to-reach strands that are short and/or lie flat along the surface of skin.
For more tips on how to achieve a smooth shave, check out this article.
Get the perfect sunless glow
This year, you can boast a bronze glow without going in the sun at all. With so many effective sunless products available, it’s never been easier to achieve a fake tan that appears authentic. So sidestep sun damage and rock a faux glow by adding these formulas to your summer skin care routine:
- Lotion: Many sunless tanning formulas for the face are specially designed to bring an authentic glow while infusing pores with age-fighting ingredients. Fake Bake Self-Tanning Lotion For Face creates a natural, sun-kissed color while layering skin with peptides to restore strength and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Spray: For an inexpensive alternative to salon airbrushing, reach for Fake Bake Instant Self Tanning Spray. This effortless aerosol spray creates an even, all-over tan that dries quickly and lasts for days.
- Towelettes: Tanning towelettes offer a controlled application that lets you create a customized color. TanTowel Plus Full Body Self Tanning Towelettes are easy to use and don’t leave behind a goopy mess or unpleasant odor. Use one towelette per application; use more to create a darker glow.
For more on how to perfect your faux glow, read this article.
Create beach ready hair
Just like skin, your hair care regimen should change with the seasons. Here’s how to protect your locks, control frizz and achieve a summer-inspired style.
- Protect: Give color-treated hair a much-needed line of defense with Alterna Summer Hair RX Sun Recovery Spray. With unique Color Hold technology, this formula fends off the UVA/UVB rays that fade color while infusing strands with organic hemp seed oil to promote stronger, hydrated locks from root to tip.
- Style: The beachy look is back, and you don’t have to live on the coast to achieve perfectly tousled tresses. Simply spritz on Alterna Summer Hair RX Ocean Waves. This texturizing spray creates a gentle, wavy look with a matte finish – no beach necessary. It also infuses hair with organic hemp seed oil to strengthen and Color Hold technology to keep your color vibrant all summer long.
Check out this article to discover how to tackle common summer hair care concerns.
Embrace summer inspired makeup
Summer is an ideal time to embrace a more laid back look – especially if your itinerary includes outdoor activities like picnics and afternoons at the beach. Swap heavy formulas and dramatic shades for those that are lighter. Here’s how:
- Face: If you can, embrace a minimalist approach to makeup during the warmer months. Skip heavy layers, and instead embrace lightweight, oil-free foundations, concealers and powders.
- Cover: When the weather is hot and humid, apply a lightweight, SPF makeup like Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation SPF 20 - Sand Beige. This liquid foundation won’t settle into lines or creases and provides matte coverage that lasts all day.
If your face is especially oil-prone, consider swapping foundation for a tinted moisturizer or makeup primer. Laura Geller Tinted Spackle Under Makeup Primer provides a subtle, oil-free tint for an even, shine-free face all day long. If you need a bit of extra coverage, hide imperfections with a concealer.
To maintain a matte, oil-free face, keep some powder in your purse. Also, blotting papers like Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets are a quick, effective way to eliminate shine on the go.
- Eyes: Summer is the time for a laidback look. Swap heavy liners and dark shadows for lighter, more natural shades. This is also the time to experiment with brighter, more vibrant color tones. When picking formulas, remember that powders have better staying power than creams. When it comes to liners and mascara, embrace waterproof formulas that can withstand a bit of sweat or rain.
- Lips: Stash away your heavy lipsticks and liners when summer arrives. Instead, create a more subtle look by tinting your lips with sheer versions of your favorite shades.
- Toenails: No matter how much you neglected your toenails this winter, it’s essential to summer-ize them before slipping into sandals. Pencil in time for a pedicure, either at home or at the spa.
- Repair: Following a winter trapped inside of shoes, your toes might be in need of some special attention. Strengthen your nails with Trind Natural Nail Repair, which targets and repairs natural protein-molecules within the nail for a healthier appearance.
- Polish: Whether it’s hot pink or baby blue, dress up your toenails with your favorite summer shades. Consider yellow hues – like SpaRitual Nail Lacquer - Enlightened Soul – which are especially trendy this year.
Head here to discover more ways to make your summer look sizzle.
The summer of skin care
This summer, amp up your arsenal of SPF and oil-free formulas while embracing exfoliators, self-tanners and soft, shimmery shades of eye shadows and sheer lip shines. Whether it’s summer or winter, embracing a seasonal approach to skin care helps support healthy, strong skin all year round.
Sidestep Stale Skin Care: How to Reconsider Your Routine (January)
Update Your Skin Care Arsenal (February)
Dermatologist 101: How a Visit Can Transform Your Routine (March)
Experience a New Way to Pamper (April)
Celebrate Skin Cancer Awareness Month With Skin-Saving Screening (May)
Evaluate Your Skin Care Journey So Far (July)