Attaining healthier skin doesn’t happen overnight. To help you on your way, here’s the first installment of our monthly series on transforming skin care. Whether you’re 25 or 50, read on for essential tips to evaluate your skin care needs and make realistic goals to set the stage for healthier, more beautiful skin.
Step 1: Take a closer look at your skin
Most of us look in the mirror multiple times each day but rarely see beyond the surface of the reflection. Take a moment to really look at your skin — and discover how what you see on the outside reflects the health and condition of your skin on the inside.
Not sure what to look for? Ask yourself the following questions:
- How does my skin feel? What words comes to mind when you touch your skin from head to toe? Oily, dry, smooth or rough — or even a combination of these conditions may describe your skin’s condition.
- Have I been defending my skin from the sun? Whether you include UV protection in your daily routine or embrace the rays, it’s important to keep your eye on sun damage. Check your skin for signs of sun damage including dark freckles, discoloration and wrinkles.
- Is my lifestyle taking a toll? Look for signs of fatigue including dark circles around your eyes and puffiness that might be caused by bad habits including lack of sleep, smoking or drinking.
- Do I take time to pamper? Like everything in life, little rewards go a long way when it comes to reinforcing good habits. Whether it’s an at-home pedicure or professional facial, your skin care routine should include occasional treatments that pamper and promote healthy beauty. Chances are, any pampering you do will enhance what you see in your reflection.
- Is acne an issue? Examine your face and body for unwanted blemishes or redness. Small patches of acne can easily go unnoticed in hard to see places like your back or arms.
- What is my skin type? If years have passed since you’ve evaluated your skin, chances are you might need to reconsider your skin type — as this can change over time. Classify your skin using one or more of the following skin types:
When making decisions related to skin care and the products, consider your skin type. Also, keep in mind that your skin type might change as you age or with the season.
Not sure what skin type you have? Reach for The Skin Type Solution by Dr. Baumann Paperback.
- What are my skin strengths? Whether your skin is kissably soft or happily hydrated, identify the parts of your current skin care routine that are working well. It’s always important to celebrate your strengths.
Step 2: Make a list
After answering these questions, make a list of strengths and challenges in your skin care routine. Don’t forget to include your skin type.
Step 3: Make goals
Using your list, create some short and long-term goals to tackle during the following year. Short-term goals should be attainable within a few months while long-term goals may include permanent changes in your skin care routine to improve its future health and appearance. Here are some examples:
- Incorporate products that address my skin type into my skin care arsenal
- Increase sun protection in my daily regimen
- Adopt skin-healthy lifestyle habits including adequate sleep, nutritious diet and exercise
- Reverse existing signs of aging with age-fighting treatments
- Prevent future signs of aging with sun screen
Everyone’s list of goals will be different — and may even change over time. Don’t worry — you can always revise your goals later on.
Step 4: Hang up your goals
Next, post your list in a place — like inside your medicine cabinet or next to your bedroom mirror — where it’ll remind you to stick to these new skin care goals. Also — consider recruiting a friend or family member to do the same. When it comes to adopting healthy habits, a partner in crime is helpful when it comes to sticking to goals and finding support.
The resolution of a lifetime
Transforming your skin care routine is a big goal — but we’re here to help. Remember to check back to Skincare-news for monthly installments that feature simple, step-by-step guides for improving your skin care routine. The result? Healthier, more beautiful skin — guaranteed!
Update Your Skin Care Arsenal (February)
Dermatologist 101: How a Visit Can Transform Your Routine (March)
Experience a New Way to Pamper (April)
Celebrate Skin Cancer Awareness Month With Skin-Saving Screening (May)
Reinvent Your Summer Skin Care Routine (June)
Evaluate Your Skin Care Journey So Far (July)